Sunday, April 10, 2011

Starting Anew

I mentioned in the dedication that this year is proving to be a year of renewal for me. I want to list the ways in which I feel like my life has and is improving significantly this year.

- I quit smoking! I don't even know what my quit date was, but it was over 2 months ago now. I feel like this is the first time that I have ever quit for me and I'm thrilled. I no longer cough myself awake at night. I love that my mouth still feels clean when I wake up in the morning. I love that I don't smell like smoke any longer.

- I'm leaving an unhealthy relationship - and I don't have another man waiting in the wings.

- I've started a new exercise program! I've lifted weights on and off for years. At the beginning of the semester, I started back in the gym again, but it just didn't feel right any longer. It's hard to explain. Maybe it's getting older or something, but when I went back this time, I didn't feel like a was doing my body good - I felt like I was damaging it. About the same time, a colleague of mine introduced me to a new way of doing things. It took me awhile to get my head around it, but now I'm hooked. I'll put up a post soon on my new way of looking at exercise - it deserves it's own post!

- I've started to look differently at how I eat. Anyone who knows me also knows that I've struggled with an bulimia for a long time. As a result, I can't diet - at least not in the traditional sense. As soon as I try to tell myself that this or that food is forbidden, I want it. It took me years to realize that feeling hungry isn't a problem for me, but feeling deprived is. At any rate, along with my new exercise regimen, I have a new outlook on food as well and I can't wait to tell you about it.

- I'm buying my first house! I'm so excited to finally have a place to call my own. I close sometime toward the end of the month and I can't wait to post pictures and tell you about all the projects I have planned.

- I've been doing more research at work and it feels great. I was so burnt out on it when I first took my position that I couldn't bring myself to do it. Most of the research involves undergraduates - which is a huge paradigm shift for me, but I'm loving it more and more.

So often I have caught myself thinking that I'm too old to start anew - that all those opportunities have passed by in my youth. I'm just discovering that it is never to late to start fresh and remake your mind, body and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment